Consulting Structural Engineers in Devon and Cornwall

From our office in Launceston, The Home Engineers provide domestic structural engineering services throughout Devon and Cornwall.

Local Engineering Services in Devon & Cornwall

House Alterations

Our expert structural engineering services include extensions, loft conversions, and structural alterations for both large-scale housing developments and smaller, individual renovations. We cater to homeowners, architects, developers, and independent contractors.

With over ten years of experience, our qualified engineers provide housing solutions that prioritise safety, functionality, and visual appeal, ensuring a smooth project from start to finish.

Structural engineering surveys and reports

We provide detailed surveys and reports assessing a property’s structural integrity for various needs, including mortgage valuations, planning applications, class Q conversions under Permitted Development, and reassurance during repair works.

Our experienced and professionally qualified structural engineers conduct these assessments to the highest standards, ensuring straightforward submissions to surveyors, banks, and insurers.

Civil and Structural Engineering Designs

We provide comprehensive design solutions for commercial and residential projects, including housing developments, bespoke new builds, and barn conversions. Our expertise lies in designing elements and structures using timber, steel, concrete, and masonry, covering aspects such as retaining walls, steel connections, temporary works, chimney support, foundation design, and even historic structures.

Our proficient engineers, with extensive experience in structural design, prioritize innovation, sustainability, and compliance with industry standards to deliver high-quality projects for homeowners, architects, developers, and contractors.

Pre- & Post-Planning Civil Engineering Services

We offer thorough engineering assessments and reports customized for both pre- and post-planning phases. Our services encompass feasibility evaluations, flood risk assessment (FRA) reports, drainage strategy (DS) reports, and design solutions for both foul and surface water drainage, as well as sustainable drainage systems (SuDS) design and flood alleviation schemes.

Our experienced civil and structural engineers guarantee meticulous attention to detail and strict adherence to regulatory standards. We cater to the requirements of architects, developers, and planning authorities, ensuring confidence that your project is progressing towards success under our capable guidance.

About Our Structural Engineer in Devon & Cornwall

Managed by Daniel Patton BSc BEng, The Home Engineers (South West) offers comprehensive structural engineering services across Cornwall and Devon.

Daniel’s expertise includes offshore work with household names within the oil, gas, and renewable industries, providing a unique perspective on structural projects.

With a background in Civil and Structural Engineering and a wealth of experience spanning a variety of commercial and domestic projects, Daniel ensures quality and reliability in every project.


We were recommended Home Engineers by friends and they have been fantastic. Dan took the lead on helping us understand what was needed to make our vision a reality. We are now in full flow and excited for the renovations to get going. Thanks Dan.

Nick Dell'anno

The drawings and details provided for the works at Wildways was impressive and Daniel was exceptional in providing a rapid response.

Kevin Derry – Gynn Construction Ltd, Polzeath

Many thanks for replying so quickly. I wasn't expecting this soon. I would like to thank you and also express how pleased I am with your excellent work. I will surely recommend you to others in the future.

Tracy Ewing, Tavistock


Do I need a site visit?

If an architect or designer has provided clear plans, simple alterations can often be undertaken without a site visit saving you money.

If plans are not provided or if the design is complex, a site visit is usually recommended although this is project dependent.

Do I need a structural engineer?

If you are carrying out a home extension, loft conversion or are removing walls from your home, the chances are that you will require a structural engineer. Works such as these require you to notify your local building control team who may require structural calculations before works can be signed off.

Do you draw up plans for my house?

The architect or surveyor normally draws up the plans. Where an architect or surveyor is unable to draw up the plans or full plans are not required, we can undertake a measured survey sufficient to carry out the structural design.

How long will the design/drawings/calculations take?

Following receipt of all the relevant information, we typically aim to turn around works within 1-2 weeks. However, this is very dependent on how busy we are and the size of the project. Smaller jobs, even with a site visit can often be completed in a week or less.

How much do you charge for a simple steel beam design?

Providing a set cost for a beam design can be difficult. A steel beam design often involves additional checks to the masonry bearings, wall panels and foundations. Therefore, each project is priced specifically to suit project requirements.

I have been told I need a structural engineer, but I cannot adequately describe the issue. Can you take a look?

Often, a building inspector or other professional may use complicated terms to describe a structural defect meaning it is difficult to clearly relay that information over the phone or via email. In these cases, we would recommend that a site visit be undertaken for a small fee to review the defect and discuss the best way to resolve the issue.

I need a structural engineer urgently – can you help?

Please contact us and we will see what we can do. Even whilst busy, we try to allocate time to administrative works, training, and CPD. If required, we may be able to allocate some of this time to your project.

My mortgage company requires a structural inspection before we buy our property. Can you do this?

We regularly undertake structural surveys in response to a property valuation survey. Our inspections are undertaken by an experienced structural engineer and all reports that are to be submitted to a bank or building society are reviewed and signed off by our Chartered Structural Engineer.

What type of clients do you work with?

We typically work with a wide range of clients from domestic clients, builders, developers, architects and surveyors.

The Home Engineers - Devon & Cornwall


Phone Number: 01566 471386

Address: Virginia Cottage, Trewint, Cornwall, PL15 7TG